About 6 months ago, a friend I know through work mentioned that she and one of her friends wanted to set me up with someone they knew. I gave them the "go-ahead" and they passed my number on to him.
After a LONG wait, Opthamologist Frog (O.F.) finally called about 3 weeks ago! We had a GREAT conversation - he loves musicals and "Glee", lives near me, has his own business, plays golf, comes from a good family, etc. O.F. then tells me that he's getting ready to go on vacation for 10 days and would I like to get together before he leaves? Sure! So, we make plans to meet for sushi near my house.
In the interim, I get online and "google" him to see what I can find out and if there are any photos. The only photo I come across is a VERY tan, very thin, Asian man running a marathon. And I think to myself, great. O.F. is totally not my type and now I have to get through this dinner and then strangle my friend who obviously will never be allowed to set me up again.
Nevertheless, I get myself looking good and head over to the restaurant. As I walk in, it's very dark but my eyes adjust enough to see him in the bar (he told me he'd be wearing a blue-striped polo). I affix a smile on my face and prepare for the worst. Was I surprised! Not only was O.F. not Asian and not tan but he was TOTALLY my type - tall, dark hair and dark eyes, preppy, handsome, etc. Whew! Crisis averted. We proceed to have a nice dinner, conversation flows, walks me to my car, kisses me goodnight and says that he would definitely like to see me again when he returns from vacation.
I spend the next 10 days buying wedding magazines, booking the ballroom at the Royal Palms, writing our married names on everything I can find...wait....just kidding. Obviously, I was excited about the prospect of things moving forward and seeing him again.
Fast forward to 2 days ago (also 2 days after he had returned). Hadn't heard from him so sent him a quick text - "hope your trip was fun and would like to get together again if you're up for it" - or something to that effect. I get a text in return saying he's been swamped at work but will call me the following evening.
Last night he calls and, after some small talk, proceeds to say the following:
Him: "Thanks for your text. I had a really nice time meeting you but as far as dating goes, I just don't think it will happen."
Me: "Ummmm, ok. Well, thanks for being honest."
Him: "I mean, you're fun to hang out with, so if that happens again, that would be cool."
Me: "Ummmm, ok."
Him: "Well, ok, bye."
Click.
Lesson I'm trying to learn: Not everyone will think you're the cat's meow and never go on a date with someone who is leaving for 10 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment