Friday, July 30, 2010

Geologist Frog

GEOLOGIST FROG:

I finally gave in and am doing the on-line dating thing. It's weird and fun and exciting and terrifying all at once. Here is the latest from that world.

I recently started communicating with Geologist Frog (G.F) on-line. Nice profile, pretty good looking, good emails, good texts and finally asks me to have a glass of wine. I accept and we make plans to meet at a local wine bar (hint: it used to be a post office). I get there and he has already arrived and we spend some time chatting and waiting for a table.

We move to the table and conversation is pretty good. He tells me about his job (a bunch of info about how water comes into Arizona, how it affects the earth, blah, blah, blah). I tell him about my time as an actress in NYC which he is totally fascinated by and asks be all sorts of questions.

We also get into past relationships and his expereinces with on-line dating. One of the things he brings up is how women have a bad habit of, after meeting someone they don't want to see again, they just never respond to further communication. His recommendation is just to be upfront and honest - tell the guy you don't want to see him anymore and move on. That way, no questions are left unanswered.

We talked for probably 2 1/2 hours which surprised me but it was a good conversation and he was easy to talk to. I was unsure as to whether or not I wanted to see him again - but that question was pretty much answered for me over the next few minutes and days. We get up to leave and head out to valet. The valet brings my car around and G.F. walks me over and, as I turn around to thank him and say good-bye, he basically tries to kiss me - which is fine - except that it wasn't "peck on the lips, I had a nice time kiss"...it was "here comes my tongue and let's get it on kiss"!!!! WHAT?!?! I pull away, smile sheepishly (we're in the middle of the FREAKING parking lot) and G.F. goes in for another! I finally extricate myself and say goodbye. First sign I don't want to see G.F. again.

Next morning - I wake up to a text from G.F. that says "Good morning, sweetie." Awkward. Second sign I don't want to see G.F. again. I don't respond.

Later that day - an email from G.F. that says "Well, that was interesting." Third sign I don't want to see G.F. again. I don't respond.

Next day - I respond. After our conversation about honesty - I am kind but honest. Email to him basically saying - "nice to meet you, not really a romantic connection, best of luck."

G.F. texts back almost immediately: "What a waste of my time and $."

So much for wanting honesty. Fourth sign I don't want to see G.F. again.

Against the advice of a dear friend (YOU WERE RIGHT), I text back: "Wow - for someone who wanted honesty, that's a terribly rude response. Please don't contact me again. You can be certain I won't be contacting you again."

G.F.'s final text back to me: "Get some exercise. Ugh."

And people wonder why I'm not married....

Lesson I'm trying to learn: Honesty IS the best policy and geologists get mad when you don't make out with them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure if I'm laughing more at the stories or the "lessons learned". God you are funny woman! I'm loving this. Keep them coming :)

    ReplyDelete